I just don’t believe anything anymore

I’ve given up suspending disbelief. I just don’t believe anything in the world anymore. I’ve given up full stop. I thought by my mid-twenties I’d be settled in my belief in my own existence and the existence of everything around me but I can’t keep up the charade anymore.

Let’s be fair we live in a time when many anchors we hold true are being unraveled completely. Look at the economy for example. We spent years trusting that the well-to-do gents who went to town every day in their suit and finery had a good idea of what they were doing, but of course as it transpires, they’re as clueless about the magic numbers that are imagined in the stock markets as everyone else. Perhaps even more so!

Whilst banker bashing is like shooting fish in a barrel, I’ve become a disbeliever of nearly everything else. Like Greenland for example, is it really there or just an elaborate prank played on the rest of the world by the Danish? Let’s be honest no-one really lives there, so is it just the case that they’ve got together enough people game for a laugh to pretend they live there? Perhaps they’ve taken a few pictures of some backwater towns in Iceland and pretended a giant country where no one lives exists in the North Atlantic.

Nothing on TV is real. Documentaries are sexed up highlights of historical or natural events. Do you think anyone would watch animals doing stuff that didn’t involve humping or killing? Of course not, we watch enough of ourselves doing that already. Also do you believe that Justin Bieber actually exists – would you want to anyway - and isn’t just a cruel joke being played by a series of music executives? What’s to have stopped them hiring actors and to have scripted some lines for them?

You can’t believe the news either. As the Levinson Report at the moment seems to suggest, most of it is made up. I should know as I play a part in that in my own way.

History is almost exclusively written by the winners, or by a Wikipedia editor. Twitter and Facebook and all our access to mass media just allows rumour to spread at an unprecedented rate so no one really knows what’s true and what’s not for the most part.

Religion, how do we not know that someone sitting in ancient India invented the idea of gods as an elaborate practical joke that worked too well? Or alternatively he got high and everyone just believed his rantings? Stranger things have happened.

Life is confusing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't drink and drive or you WILL be branded with a hot iron!

The shifting sands of British voters

The Brave and the Bald